Saturday 6 August 2022

t-shirts as message carriers

I left the t-shirt piece to begin work on to last because I had some internal conflict about the ethics of cutting up a perfectly usable, undamaged clothing item to repurpose. It came from the same black binbag as the broken jeans and scraps, nevertheless it wasn't faulty.

Then I was focusing on why I liked and why I disliked this t-shirt, pretty much in the same time. I liked it becuse it said nature on it. I didn't like it because it was pale custard yellow, and pretentious in its message, I felt. 

There wasn't anything much beautiful in its representation of nature. It wasn't graceful or powerful like nature, it wasn't timeless and classic, like nature never goes out of fashion, does it? This tee was definitely very last century, in its spirit and its disregard for its own message.

It was thin plasticky printed flowers and letters imitating embroidery, perhaps that offended me a bit too, because it was representing handworked embroidery in a cheap way. I still picked this t-shirt out of the binbag, for all these above reasons. I felt it was perfectly fitting for my purpose, for taking part in what I want to say with the textile pieces I am making.

Clue: slogan t-shirts, walking advertisements, statement posts, message carriers.

Conclusion: I find the message of the t-shirt lacking, therefor I alter the t-shirt to remedy the message.
 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...