Friday 28 September 2012

fabric finds & a new crafting corner

I haven't bought any fabric for a while because I have a stash of some lengths and offcuts, but when I saw this small bundle of vintage swatches I couldn't resist it. It cost just a single euro.

Look how nice and varied the selection is:
 

So what will I do with them? Well, I have some big plans... I won't tell you any more about them right now but am planning to reveal all hopefully soon. So stick with me!

Back to the finds.
I also found some pure vintage cottons in pretty printed patterns - the bottom ones are a pair of curtains, but they turned out too short for the window so I decided to stash them.

You know I have just mentioned that I have these big plans...I have been thinking about them for a while now, and finally they can start becoming reality because....*drumroll* I've thrifted cleverly and put together a new crafting spot for me!

I know that my new sewing spot is in a very pared-down and basic state at this point and needs personalizing with splashes of colour and pin boards but I've got to be patient and appreciate it as is because I haven't had a space at all to sew or draw for the last 6 months.

The sewing machine survived the international shipping so that is not a thrifty find but a happy survivor. 

The 60's - 70's Singer sewing table was €10 from the local antiques & secondhand dealer's. I jumped for joy when I saw it and there was no question about getting it.

The chair was found in the Red Cross second hand furniture store - a really sturdy lightweight thing with a lovely shape - potentially a candidate for a colour make-over...
The original price tag was for €15 but we happened to go shopping on a day when all furniture was half price so we got it for €7.50. (And many other things too - will blog soon.)


In the same Red Cross store I spotted this roll of old newsprint. It cost only €2 and it's perfect for pattern drafting and such. Or lining drawers even. Liking the ink marks on it a lot.


And - even though I blogged the iron and ironing board in my previous post - here they are again, because they are an important part of my new crafting corner and they make me happy. It's a joy to work with good equipment.


8 comments:

  1. Oh great! I love the cotton fabrics esp. the strawberrys. Can't wait to see what you are going to sew! Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph :) I've been stitching furiously but I think I will only reveal in November... I might do a sneak peak if pushed ;)

      Delete
  2. Love the fabric - any dedicated sewing/crafting spot is special. Wishing you lots of happy sewing hours in your new spot :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kerry!
      I've been using it happily and been getting nice ideas on how to decorate it to get rid of the plain-ness but not to have it too distracting... just need the thrifting to be accordingly fruitful then can do it :)

      Delete
  3. It's so nice to have a spot to create no matter the size. Love the last batch of fabrics. The roll of newsprint was a great bargain and will come in handy. Thanks so much for sharing with Share Your Cup.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the newsprint roll was a bit of an impulse buy i think and been more decorative than useful so far. the spot & cross pattern paper has me biased :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. thank you for letting me know - i have moved the follow buttons into the sidebar now :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...