Friday 26 July 2013

fat lava score


It's always a lot of fun when me and the boyfriend go to browse the flea markets together. We found these two West German fat lava vases on a quick in-and-out kind of trip to one of our favourite spots. They came incredibly, irresistibly cheap - the total we paid could probably buy a coffee and a bun.

The cream one is by Strehla Keramik. I think it is slowly becoming my favourite out of the two, the more I look at it. It's kind of understated, the stripes are rather fascinating and there are really nice colours to discover when you look closer.


fat lava vase jug Strehla keramik 1304 cream stripes brown west germany german

Then of course, how could I not like the orange one - it has the classic 70s fat lava look, in typical colours. The maker of this one is Jasba Keramikfabriken. I almost remember someone in my family having a similar one in their home - it might even be my mum... I have to ask her.

Jasba fat lava vase N0021018 orange west german germany



The way this vase is decorated won't be to everybody's taste, but I'd like to point out that there's more to fat lava and its bubbling oozing decorativeness than just how it looks. It's really nice to handle these vases, this orange one for example has a smooth high glaze, a smooth matt glaze and of course that bumpy fat lava in between. It makes me want to read up on how all these different textures are achieved, but that will have to wait until another post.

For now, I let the pictures talk for themselves - we are going away for the weekend and I have packing (and washing up) to do still! I hope the sun is doing a good summer job too where you are - have a lovely weekend everybody!

9 comments:

  1. Oh I just love that red one, absolutely divine! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes - I know such vases - my mom has 3 oder 4 of them in the basement.
    Really cool
    Nice weekend
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i have a feeling that lots of mums have at least one fat lava vase in their home :) i hope you've had a nice weekend too! looks warm there too x

      Delete
  3. Oh I didn't know that you into WestGermanPottery, here on fleamarkets you can find a lot of these.
    Have a nice weekend!
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i didn't know it that well either :) i think it's quite a tactile thing for me actually. i heard the opposite (well read on some american collectors site...), that these vases are rarer in germany because most were exported...i believe you instead! hope you are having a great week! x

      Delete
  4. Great finds I have a few West Germany vases.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they have such a touchy feely appeal! thanks Denise!

      Delete
  5. Fun finds!!!!!!! I love when the price is right too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...